17 May 2007

A little paranormal feast

This whole blogging thing really sneaks up on me. As usual, I have no idea what to say since my mind is full of camping plans and researching guinea pig pregnancy. (One of my piggies is expecting...I've felt he babies kick.) This morning, on the way to the mailbox, I wondered why nobody has done a guinea pig shape shifter. Now you can laugh, but anyone who knows me knows that I'm all about unusual animals being made into paranormal creatures.

Last summer, I thought it would be funny to write a story about a moose-shifter. When Samhain bought the story (Last Prophecy), I think I asked the editor if she was serious or if she was joking with me. This summer I have a beaver-shifter story coming out under my other personality (Courting Damnation at Forbidden Publications). I've seen rabbit shifters, fox, bear, cats, wolves etc and just for fun, I thought I'd ask what everyone thinks about the animal part of a shifter personality. What's the most unusal animal you've seen used in a story? How much of the animals personality should bleed through to the character's human persona?

2 comments:

sjwilling said...

In some ways shifting is similar to having a familiar. Supposedly a person is able to "enter the body of" the familiar so they can see and do things that the animal can. And for this i've seen createurs as diverse as squirrels, cats, dogs, birds.

They rarely have things like Moose for familiar's though lol I guess its because Moose tend not to be as unnoticeable.

My only problem with shapeshifters that no one ever really explains well to me, is what happens to the incredible change in body mass?

It's perhaps a little bit too convenient to shrug it off as "magic".

So, how does a 180 pound man turn into a 70 pound wolf? or, God fobid, a half a pound guniea pig :)

S.J.

Jennie Andrus said...

good point on the body mass thing. There's also the fact that people would wonder about a guinea pig wandering around loose.