15 May 2007

Thank you, authors of Beyond the Veil, for inviting me to hang out with you today. I'm at the day job in a meeting from 9:00am to 10:30am MST (Mountain Standard Time) so if you drop me a post during that time, I'm not ignoring ya, I promise :D

So, what's the brou-ha-ha about paranormal romance these days? Is it the fact that authors of the paranormal come up with some of the most delicious heroes imaginable? Or, that we create worlds that allow a person to escape from everyday life, even if just for a few minutes in between diaper changes, meetings at work, or trips to the bathroom - (don't knock it, 'cause some of the best reading time is done in the bathroom!) Or is it the fact that authors of paranormal romance actually make you WANT a werewolf alpha or a sexy vampire? Who-da thought?

Some have asked me, the total paranormal nutball, where some of my ideas come from. And it's a hard question to answer. Some of my character's personalities and beliefs come from real life. Some come from things I'd like to do in life. Some, I just pull out of my a--, uh, hat. For example, the spirit guides in PRIMED TO POUNCE (Ellora's Cave) and EGYPTIAN VOYAGE (Ellora's Cave) are a mish-mash of Lakota myth and spiritual belief. I am part Lakota Sioux and Blackfeet and tend to weave some of the things into my stories that I heard and read while growing up.

On the other hand, a mix of my love (though not always 'like') for fitness plus professional experience working with pharmaceuticaul and biotech manufacturers found their way into CARINIAN'S SEEKER (Samhain Publishing) and SERATI'S FLAME (Samhain Publishing). But these two books are vampire stories with big bad alpha male vamps as the GOOD GUYS. What the hell? Did TJ run up on a couple of vampire cuties and decide to write a book about 'em? Er, not. But I can wish...

Another couple of books (JAGUAR'S RULE and SPIRIT OF THE PRYDE - Both from Ellora's Cave) feature jaguar and African lion shifters. Now, where'd they come from? I don't have a clue. The ideas just came to me one day and turned into two of my favorite stories.

I think paranormal appeals to so many because you can pretty much go anywhere, meet anyone between the pages (and the sheets), and experience all manner of yummy things with gorgeous alphas...even if they don't exist. We can even do magic! Any kind, any time, and in any way we wish. Long live paranormal romance! Wooo baby!

Personally, if I could get my hands on one of the sexy Were's I've been reading about lately, you wouldn't see me for AWHILE!

So...spill it - What is it about paranormal romance that turns you on? What do you want more of? Lay it on me, I can take it *wink*

TJ
..• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..•´ http://www.tjmichaels.com/ -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´* http://www.dynamicthree.com/
CARINIAN'S SEEKER, V.C.O.E. Book 1, Avail in digital and print
SERATI'S FLAME, V.C.O.E. Book 2, Samhain Publishing, August 2007
POUNCE ~ PRYDE ~ JAGUAR'S ~ GIFT WRAP, All available at Ellora's Cave
EGYPTIAN VOYAGE ~ Coming Soon from Ellora's Cave

7 comments:

sjwilling said...

One of the things that always bugs me about vampires is that they are always rich. Never heard of a poor struggling day by day vampire. it's almost as if, by becoming a vampire, you are suddenly a financial and political genius.

Wouldn't it be nice, for a change to see a vampire struggle for a bite to eat.

Well maybe that's it, if I didn't have to buy food I'd be rich too.

Hmm

S.J.

Carolan Ivey said...

Hi TJ! Thanks for coming today. :)

[[some of the best reading time is done in the bathroom]]

Amen, sister. [grin]

SJ - I wonder if that's why in most vampire stories, they're all part of a vampire community? I don't remember reading recently about hermit vampires. They often seem to be part of a syndicate, with elders, a council, etc.

Jody W. and Meankitty said...

What do I like about paranormal books.... I like to see how another person's imagination takes shape, with the world of reality as our common starting point.

As for vampires, I can see they might be hermits from other vampires like in the Tanya Huff series, but I can't imagine it would be good eatin' to be a hermit from people! Unless they keep a herd of friendly cattle.

Perhaps the world needs more hermit rancher vampires??

Jody W.

sjwilling said...

strangely enough though in most horror and non-romance fiction vampires tended until recently, to be solitary figures.

odd how times change.

S.J.

TJ Michaels said...

Dang, S.J.! Okay, I'm cracking up 'cause that's just funny. I don't care where you're from, food does rate right up there as an important necessity of life. LOL!

TJ

TJ Michaels said...

Hermits? Good eatin'? Hmmm, I think those are oxymorons :D

Even in my recent release, CARINIAN'S SEEKER, the vamps are well off, but mostly because they've been alive long enough to amass a fortune. And since they're governed by a council (not all of 'em live in a council residence) they have heavy investments in several money making ventures, like biotech and pharma manufacturers.

Sounds boring...but that's where the moolah is :D

TJ

Suzette said...

Laughing @ sjwilling comment.

I absolutely love paranormal romance and its a rare thing to see me read a book not in that specific genre. I love the magic, the alpha, the weres, and all others thrown into that catagory.
I love how with an authors words you are thrown into the worlds they created even if for just an hour or two of your day. I love how in paranormals the "good" guys aren't always neccessarily good(Stella & Audra Price are an example authors who write of the not so good guy being the "hero"), that dragons shift into humans, and that the fey exist.

For me, its all about the fantasy that is created when these fabulous authors write what is in their heads. Paranormal Romances RULE and so do the authors who write them!

(no, not crazy. Just very enthusiastic about this genre)