18 December 2008

The Perfect Christmas Present...

This is a tough holiday shopping season. With the evening news reporting depressing news, it makes it hard to consider buying gifts. It makes us all more conservative with our spending.

But, it’s still Christmas and I have a suggestion. Don’t know what to get that special someone? BOOKS!

Yep. Books.

And if you’re feeling especially generous this year, you might want to look at those glossy big ticket items associated with them – Ereaders. Both Sony and Amazon have very nice readers worth a look if you’re in the market for one.

The great thing about Books as gifts is that there’s something out there for everyone. There’s men’s fiction and women’s fiction, nonfiction, and children’s picture books and chapter books. If you’re not sure what to get? Try a giftcard to your favorite retailer – or an ebookstore. There are more than just Sony and Amazon ebookstores, too. *coughSamhaincough*

And the best part? It won’t break the bank and provide hours of entertainment.

I know, I hear the grumbling. I’m an author, so of course I’ll say buy books. But you know something?

Before I was an author, I was a reader. My husband bought me my first electronic reader in 2001. Between you and me, I think it was his way of escaping the inevitable hours of waiting while I browsed the bookstore. My Gemstar meant he could stay home and watch television while I browsed the bookstore from the comfort of the couch…and he didn’t have to cringe at the cashier while he paid the bill. When the Sony Reader first hit the market, he somehow managed to find one after trying to order from Sony and told the best they could hope for was Valentine delivery instead of Christmas.

I don’t know how he found it, but I cried when I opened it because I was so excited. And if he wants to make me smile, he’ll slip a Sony Connect Store gift card into a card and mail it to me.

Why? Because giving me books means he knows me…and loves me enough to indulge my hobby. But more than that, he knows that a book is an evening of escapism from the trials of motherhood, career, and the general chaos that stresses us all out every day. It’s his way of saying that he wants me to take a moment to myself because he knows it’s those private moments to regroup that make me a better wife and mother.

So, consider adding the bookstore to your last minute shopping stops. Someone on your list might be hoping that you’ll think of it…
Post a Comment