19 February 2010

Serenity Now


Today, y’all get the confluence of a few things that have been flowing in my life that aren’t necessarily about writing, certainly aren’t paranormal, but they do influence my writing.

First, what genius thought up perimenopause? Because this betwixt and between stage is like the hell-end of purgatory and I can see the fire and brimstone from here.

*Deep breaths. Serenity now.*

I sometimes wish I was more crunchy granola with the whole maiden/mother/crone, moving through life stages, welcoming a change in fertility, yadda yadda yadda. This is a freaking nightmare. I can’t think and the mood swings should come with a warning claxon that screams, “Step away from your mother! Maintain peace at all costs! Go to your room if you value your life!”

*More deep breaths. Serenity now, please.*

Second, ADD can be kind of fun. Things that were lost become new again when found. This is not actually so when the lost thing is a bill.

*Whoo. Getting light headed. And was I not asking for serenity loudly enough?*

The mood swings are killing my writing, too. I am currently on my fifth version of this @#$*& Steampunk story. It’s not enough, apparently, that even though I started it four years ago it now looks like I’m just jumping on the bandwagon. No. Now I realize that because I have no magical or paranormal elements to it, I’m actually writing science fiction – and I swore I’d never write science fiction because the worldbuilding and the details are an absolute killer. Welcome to my fictional nightmare.

*Screw the deep breathing. Where the hell is my serenity?*

So. Wildly fluctuating hormone levels, wonky brain chemistry, and worldbuilding that is sapping my will to live. I haven’t decided whether to go Virginia Woolf or Mad Max with this little crossroads of life. But you know what I do want?

SERENITY NOW!!!!!

6 comments:

Dayna/Rowan said...

My mother has been going through perimenopause since she turned 40. She's 57 now. I dread my future.

*lays down chocolate and booze and backs carefully away*

Ella Drake said...

Forget Serenity. Go Mad Max!

I say never say never. If you're writing Science Fiction, then that's what it is. Don't sweat it.

Carolan Ivey said...

You know what sucks? The very things perimenopause drives you to crave with a get-between-me-and-it-and-you're-toast vengeance are the same things you have to avoid: caffeine, chocolate and a good stiff belt of whisky.

Hang in there, this too shall pass.

Carolan, who's in hot flash hell at the moment

Sela Carsen said...

That's just evil, Carolan.

*snarfles Dayna's gift.* And I ain't sharin'!

Kathleen Scott/MK Mancos said...

I'm right there witcha'! - I've been perimenapausal for a few years now. I can't say I'm enjoying it a bit. I do believe it's a cruel joke on women.

R.A. Morelock said...

Drugs. I think you need drugs.

Really cool ones in pretty colors. Wonder is Jacob can get you some psychodelic ones whereby gay cannabalistic ninja elves are cool and funny and awe inspiring.

Yeah.. that's the ticket.

Should I be afraid that you just posted this and I'm putting my fragile ego in your care???

April