02 April 2007

Ghostbusting


I'm always fascinated by my own ability to put aside everything I believe in to write a "ghost" story, for want of a better term. I'm one of the unbelievers. Gasp! Although I come from a long line of psychics (maybe they meant psychos?), my own psi abilities are laughable. I don't believe in no ghosts, vampires, werethings of any variety, aliens...name it, I'm a skeptic.
Ah, but I do struggle with my belief in the afterlife. So my books are often full of the divine--and I've been caught using the dreaded device of having a god or goddess sweep in and either mess things up or save the day.
Sometimes, I tread on dangerous ground. Holy ground. Saints who counsel sinners, ghosts bargaining with guardian angels (Ghosts of Key West coming soon). It's the Irish Catholic tongue-in-cheek part of me.
Recently, a certain "laughing" reviewer noted in her review of Mayan Nights that all five of the books she's read of mine are paranormal, and quite different from one another. I hadn't really tagged myself as a paranormal writer. I simply write things that interest me. The divine. Things beyond the veil. They don't bite, have no fur, perhaps a little magical power (I don't do magick with a "k"). My fantasies are paranormal (all fantasies are not paranormal of course).
Thus, after three years of figuring out what the common thread in my writing is--I had to wait for a reviewer to point it out to me: erotic paranormal romance. And the "not norm" part of paranormal suits me fine. I've always felt a certain "otherness" in my life, even though I don't
see dead people. But I'd like to!
I'm not really going anywhere with this post am I? Just a wee introduction to Ciar Cullen.

6 comments:

Sela Carsen said...

I'm not a believer, either, but I enjoy the possibilities of the paranormal.

Carolan Ivey said...

::I've always felt a certain "otherness" in my life::


I can identify with that feeling, Ciar. You worded it very well. :)

I grew up steeped in the tradition of North Carolina legends and ghost stories, so it's no wonder that I gravitate toward the paranormal in my own writing. Can't wait to read your Key West ghosts!!

Jennie Andrus said...

I'm a believer, but then it's hard not to be one in my family. 2 of the houses I've lived in had frequent paranormal activity, and my mum's best friend lives in a farm house that's active enough to be featured on one of those documentaries. I've never seen any ghosts, buy my husband has, and my daughter too, when she was a toddler. I feel so left out.

sjwilling said...

It's the experiences that make you believe or not believe. I've had only a few myself but they were enough to make me think that something was odd about our world that we don't know or understand.
And then I've known peeps who are so immune to anything different they could walk through a 'ghost' and not even know it.

Life is so peculiar like that.

S.J.

Bianca D'Arc said...

Well, just speaking for myself, I'm pretty positive there's a life beyond and a spiritworld. S.J.'s right - it's the experiences of the supernatural that make you a believer and there are too many things that have happened to my family and myself for me not to believe.

On the other hand, I don't believe in werewolves or vampires. That's probably why I have no problem at all writing about them. But you won't catch me writing about ghosts much. They're too "real" to me, I guess. And spooky! LOL.

Jenna Leigh said...

I hope there is something 'beyond' our understanding because if not, how boring life would be. I don't really want to see it, though, unless it's in a book or a movie. I'm a chicken, don't ya know.