23 August 2007

Thirteen Things about JENNA LEIGH









Thirteen Things about JENNA LEIGH



1 - When did you decide you wanted to be a writer? Escape is the word that comes to mind. As a kid, I loved books, as a teen it was historical romances until I was bitten by the vampire bug. One fine day, Sherrilyn Kenyon’s website led me to her fan-fic group where I stayed for over three years, which was great training, if addictive. Then Patrice, a dear, scary friend said, “I review. I say your stuff is good. Submit somewhere! Don’t be an idiot!” I listened and got lucky, then the work started. I’m going to have to pay that woman a visit one day.

2 - Do you write everyday?
I try, but sometimes, it doesn’t happen. Any routines or rituals? I know there’s a stereotype about folks from Louisiana, but the only chickens sacrificed to the writing of my books were already dead and fried at Popeye’s, honest. Besides that one, it’s sitting down, turning on the computer and trying to get into my characters’ heads. Are you a plot or seat-of-your-pants writer? I am a panster. I wish I could plot, but I’ve tried it and everything ground to a total halt. That’s not to say I don’t have a rough outline of where I want my stories to go. I ‘rewrite’ scenes in my head a lot before ever putting them to page though.


3 - What are the challenges of writing paranormal romance? Making the unbelievable just believable enough so people won’t say ‘yeah right!’ and throw it down. I know werewolves don’t exist, but if they did, I’d like to think Marcus et al are pretty good examples of what they could be. Writers are all about the what if . What if this happened, then this could happen and then well, the possibilities therefore, the stories are endless.

4 - Star Wars or Star Trek? Star Trek of course. What sort of question is this? Did Jethro the Redneck Jedi put you up to this? Spock is hot. The fact that the Lucas can't stop remaking his movies is a sign of a sick mind. He has enough of my husband's money, so he can just shove a saber up his butt and call himself a nightlight! Did I mention Spock is hot?

5 - What would you say has been your most significant achievement as a writer? Finishing manuscripts, submitting them and having companies say yes. I can’t believe I’m an author, not really. I’m still just a fan girl at heart.


6 - What advice would you give to aspiring writers? Write what you love. Don’t do something you’re going to hate three books into the series. If you love it, it will show in your work. Don’t be discouraged if someone says no to you. Be encouraged by good criticism. Listen to it and learn from it.

7 - How much time do you devote to promoting your books? Not enough. Never enough. Buy all my books! Buy multiple copies! They make great presents!


8 - What kinds of books do you like to read? Sometimes, it’s the same as I like to write, humorous, paranormals or contemporaries other times, I read historical romances because I don’t write them and it’s a change for me. Who is your favorite author? Katie MacAlister, she makes me smile, always.


9 - What is your latest book about? The Wolf’s Heart: Lainie and Marcus haven’t seen each other since both were teens. Lainie’s a reporter now and back in his life asking his help to ferret out information on a story. Marcus has secrets in his life he doesn’t want known, namely that he’s the leader of a pack of werewolves. Will it make headlines when she finds out his furry little secret?

10 - What will your next book be about? I’m working on the sequel to TWH called The Wolf’s Mistress. I’ve submitted Dateless in the Dodge, the sequel to Braless in the Buick to my publisher and I’m also working on another project with co-author Melanie Gilbreath called Winding City, an urban fantasy romance. Wow, I look really busy don’t I?

11 - What are the goals you are still working toward? Write more. Promo more. Win lotto. Hire publicist. Quit day job. Eat more chocolate. That last one, I can do, easy.

12 - When people look back at your life, how do you want to be remembered? That Jenna Leigh! She made me laugh.

13 - Now for the most important question - what do you believe makes a book sexy? The author has to make me believe that the emotion in the book is real. I like to feel what the heroine feels too, every high and low. I don’t want to read, “Ooh, baby, you make me so hot!” and have to be content with that. No, I want to feel the heat, be scorched by it, have the pages crinkle and turn black from the sexual tension before they finally let go and have at it. I want to have to sit in a walk-in cooler while reading the book. Wait a minute, the heck with that! I want to write it!


Visit Jenna Leigh at her website -
http://www.jennaleighzone.com/



Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)





Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



22 comments:

Unknown said...

Great TT! I enjoyed reading this :)

Kris Yankee said...

Very interesting!

Tempest Knight said...

Cool T13! :)

Gina Ardito aka Katherine Brandon said...

Very cool. It's like reading an interview. Love it!

Carolan Ivey said...

Yeah, Jenna's a pretty awesome chick. I think we'll keep her around. [smooching at Jenna]

Jennifer Shirk said...

Interesting! :)

Debbie Mumford said...

Nice! A Thursday 13 Interview.

http://debbie-mumford.blogspot.com/

Jody W. and Meankitty said...

Thanks for telling us a little more about you, Jenna! Too bad we can't use any of it for blackmail purposes :)

Jody W.

Savannah Chase said...

It is always nice to find out new things....Cool T13

Anonymous said...

Great interview. I really enjoyed it.

Amelia June said...

That is a great interview, and hells yes Star Trek!! What kind of a question was that ;)

Anonymous said...

That's a very interesting 13 and a great way to get to know more about you! Thanks for sharing and congratulations on achieving part of your dreams :-) Good luck on the rest!

Heather said...

Great way to do an interview!

Margo Lukas said...

Sorry, Jenna. Gotta disagree with the Star Trek vs. Star Wars. I'd do Han Solo over Mr. Pointy Ears anytime. :)

Cool interview!

Elle Fredrix said...

Thanks for sharing. I really liked the advice in 6. Words to live by!

N.J.Walters said...

Great TT, Jenna.

Jenna Leigh said...

Jody, you know blackmail doesn't work against insane people.
Amelia: Live long and prosper
Margo: In the interests of peace, I'll take Han Solo for a test um.. drive. *grins*
To all the rest, thanks for the comments, I'm glad you enjoyed the peek into my dark little mind. And to my intrepid interviewer, I hope you survived the process. Now, how about teaching ME to do this here Thursday 13 thing.

Anonymous said...

Combining TT and a wicked cool interview! What a neat idea!

Robin L. Rotham said...

Ooh, I love interviews! Very interesting!

Angela's Designs said...

Nice interview. She's got a great web site, don't you think?

Anonymous said...

Great interview Jenna. I'd take Han over Spock myself, but I love this quote:

"he can just shove a saber up his butt and call himself a nightlight!"

Can I use that??? LOL

~Jamie

Jenna Leigh said...

You like my website Analee? Cool, thanks for saying so. I do it myself and try to keep it updated as often as possible.
Jamie Hill,are you sure you want an Anti-Lucas statement like that cluttering up your oh so Star Wars loving self? And here I heard yall all though Yoda-man. *snicker*