15 August 2011

Odd, Quirky, and Off The Wall--Like Me!

The dirty little secret is that I’m not the one who tells the stories. The truth is that I’m the typist. The real crafters of my stories are my characters. But then, I’m attracted to characters. I love watching odd people, or people doing odd things, in real life and in movies and on TV. I hope to capture some of that oddity when I write my stories.


One of my all time favorite is the baby from the TV show Dinosaurs. Baby and his family still make me smile, and the depth of the storylines, hidden under the cute surface, amazed me. It was truly a show for all ages.


Who doesn’t like the TV show Monk? The strange and wonderful Adrian Monk is a pleasure to watch. The actor, Tony Shalhoub, studied people who have obsessive-compulsive disorder and translated the reality into an over the top, quirky character.


I’m not much of a reality TV girl, but I make an exception in the case of Pitboss. There are dogs, okay? The cast of Pitboss: Shorty, Ashley, Sebastian, and Ronald (plus the dogs!) are the quirkiest, most fun group of folks on the little screen. I will warn you, is there is some foul language, though most of it is bleeped out.

There are many other wonderful characters on TV, movies, the mall, and, of course, in books. Who are some of your favorites? What makes a character memorable? Have you ever done something just because it was odd?

Happy Monday, and have a great week!

Cheryel
www.cheryelhutton.com





3 comments:

Jean Marie Ward said...

Oh good! I'm not the only one who sneaks off to watch Animal Planet when they're supposed to be doing something else. ;
I know Tony Shaloub needed new worlds to conquer, but I still miss MONK. Thank goodness USA Network keeps the quirky in all of their shows. TNT has it's moments, too. Just thinking of Parker in LEVERAGE makes me smile.

Xakara said...

I'm with Jean Marie, Parker on LEVERAGE, (played by Beth Riesgraf), just cracks me up! She has these amazing physical skills and is the cutest little thing, but is incredibly socially awkward with no concept of "the norm".

The USA Network show IN PLAIN SIGHT has Marshal Marshall Mann, who I just love. His quirk is his love of words and language. He also has an encyclopedic knowledge of an array of things and very little regard for when it's proper to wax poetic and when he should just keep quiet.

I miss NUMB3RS and both Charlie Eppes, (played by David Krumholtz), and utterly quirky Larry Fleinhardt, (played by Peter MacNicol). They were on opposite ends of the quirkly spectrum with Charlie able to fall of into the math behind everything at the drop of a hat, but otherwise able to skate beneath the radar most times. Larry, on the other hand, only ate white food and would drop into deep, philosophical allegories no one could follow the first time and he'd ultimately have to break it down a second time to be understood. I loved it!

*Bittersweet Sigh*

~X

Cheryel Hutton said...

Must try LEVERAGE. I haven't been watching much TV in an effort to be more writerly productive. But if both of you see a great character, I must check it out.

I watch IN PLAIN SIGHT, BTW. Mary is spunky and vulnerable at times. I want to learn how to do that with characters.

Thanks for commenting!