08 March 2010

Happy Samhain Birthday to Me


This month marks the one year anniversary of my first book release: SOUL STEALER.

So I brought cake! Help yourself to a virtual slice.

Thinking back on that day gives me happy chills...

"The Call" from my editor was really an email from Deborah Nemeth. I must have read that letter three times before the news actually sunk in--my first book was going to be published!

I squealed, clutched my heart, and hit my knees. As I thanked God for this amazing miracle, I sobbed. Sobbed, not cried. I had been a caterpillar stuck inside my cocoon for so long, learning, growing, trying my darndest to become a published butterfly. And now it was finally going to happen!

I called my husband. His phone was busy, so I called my parents. Dad answered and, realizing that I had not just been shot, or robbed, or molested, but was in fact crying happy tears, handed the phone to Mom. Mom, of course, cried too. After sharing my news with thrilled hubby, sister, and friends, I wondered what to do next. I stepped outside and to my utter surprise, found one of those big helium balloons stuck in my front lawn. Turning it over, I smiled. It was a Happy Birthday balloon, dropped from the heavens.

Happy birthday, indeed.

How about you? Do you have any good first-time-published stories to share?

Kimberley Troutte
www.kimberleytroutte.com

2 comments:

Carolan Ivey said...

Mmmm, cake! Nom nom nom...

So what's next for you? What's in YOUR pipeline, to borrow and mangle a phrase. ;)

My "email" came from one of the very first ebook publishers, the late great Dreams Unlimited. Like you, there were a few tears involved. :)

It was also an introduction to the editing and sometimes brutal revision process, because the first thing Bonnee Pierson asked me to do was change the ending. LOL She was right, of course, but that didn't mean I didn't come quietly over to her way of thinking! ;)

Kimberley Troutte said...

Aw, editing. That's another story altogether isn't it? I've been called the master editor, because frankly, my first drafts are spewed out, reckless, jumbles. I'm not joking. I have to get the words down fast and furiously before they disappear on me. It is in the edit process that my books are written.

In my pipeline...well, my first paperback book CATCH ME IN CASTILE, comes out June 1st. YAYYYYY!!! Oh sorry, that was a bit loud.

And I am working on two other stories in very different genres. Craziness.

And you know, Cain and Sara from SOUl STEALER are whispering in my ear some other craziness about a sequel. It's truly hard to keep up.

But it's all exciting and exactly what I thought I'd do when I grew up. So let's eat cake!