10 September 2011

Reality Shows!


My Guilty Pleasures – Reality Shows!

Now hold up! Regardless of the title of this post, I am not about to expose all my guilty pleasures. First of all, that would be waaaaay too many and take far more space than I have here. Secondly, ya’ll don’t want to see some of that stuff anyway. Therapy would send you (and me via your lawsuit) into the poor house.

But as television goes, however, I am willing to divulge my guilty pleasures. I, dear readers, love drama. Oh, not the kind of drama you see on Law and Order. Naw, the scripted drama just doesn’t cut it. I want, I demand, I crave reality shows.

Yep, I’m one of those people. From Big Brother to all the Housewives spin-offs, I love watching real people be real. I’m not above saying how much I adored watching Nene and Kim (Housewives of Atlanta) go at it on the bus. I will not deny how much I gasp (excitedly) to see Abby Lee (Dance Moms) yell at the kids and their moms. I almost salivate when Jerseylicious comes on. Not only because I’m eating one of my other guilty pleasures─hot buttered popcorn with melted cheese on top─but because I am a reality show junkie.

But why do I lust after shows like Most Eligible Dallas and Flipping Out? How did this happen? Like many of you, I grew up watching great classic shows like I Love Lucy and Laverne and Shirley. I loved the antics of sitcoms and how everything was tied up into a neat little package in thirty minutes. I loved that everyone got along─at least at the end. I wanted to be just like Lucy.

No one ever thought of following “average” people before that show. Why should they have? What did normal, every-day people do that we didn’t all do day in and day out? How interesting could a show about my neighbors be? A reality show would’ve been laughed off the network. And why do we now seek confrontation? Did we finally grow tired of “nice” shows and developed the need to feed the darker side of ourselves? Has the darker side of me been released?

I’m not sure how reality television came about. Did it start with Survivor and then move on to the seamier side of life? Did showing viewers a new kind of game show start us down this road? Is watching reality television a legal way to snoop on your neighbors? I haven’t got a clue.

And frankly, my dears, I don’t give a damn (Sorry. I couldn’t resist) why I like these shows so much. I don’t care if some people think I’m crazy. I don’t care that my husband won’t stay in the same room when I’m watching Theresa flip a table. The only thing I really care about is that I’m not anything like the people on these shows. And you know what? I thank my lucky stars for it!

So? What about you? Come on out of hiding and ’fess up. Are you a reality show junkie too?

7 comments:

Jean Marie Ward said...

Totally not my vice! LOL The closest I come to reality shows is DINERS, DRIVE-INS & DIVES. Give me that scripted cheese every time!

Renee Silvana said...

An old friend of mine popped up on America's Next Top Model and has since gone public about how fake the show is. (Careful not to say anything about Tyra though!) Recently NPR ran a story about how producers twist the show, including making the interviewees say things they don't really mean.

That said, Hell's Kitchen is at the top of my list :)

Xakara said...

I'm with Jean Marie, even my reality television is scripted, DINERS, DRIVE-INS & DIVES, HOUSE HUNTERS, everything on the History Channel, Discovery Channel and Science Channel.

I get drawn into the development of galaxies, the perfect accessories for revamping a room for under $1k, and the proper way to make fried chicken to keep 'em coming back for more.

The train-wreck of reality show stars...yeah, NO. Although I did watch the first two seasons of The Real World on MTV, which I blame for Survivor, which I blame for everything else to come the reality TV way. :)

~X

Amy Ruttan said...

I like 19 Kids & Counting, Gene Simmons Family Jewels, The Little Couple, Ice Road Truckers, Dog the Bounty Hunter, Pawn Stars. I also enjoy House Hunters and House Hunters International and Ghost Hunters.

Those are my reality show vices.

Carolan Ivey said...

I'm sorry, Amy, 19 Kids and Counting just makes me twitch. LOL

I enjoy American Pickers. I'm not sure if it qualifies as a reality show, though, but they sure find some interesting things in people's barns and attics.

The new "girly" knockoff of that show, again, just makes me twitch. LOL Sashaying up to some poor farmer, flipping their hair, "Hi! We're just too little ol' artists looking for stuff to use in our studio! Tee hee! Can we look around in your junk yard?" Climbing around dirty, rusty, dusty piles of junk in short shorts, sandals or high heeled boots and sleeveless tops. Please. [rolling eyes]

A. Catherine Noon said...

Oh, Beverly, you didn't!

No, seriously. You didn't, did you? Really?

Well, I suppose, ~large sigh~, we can still be friends.

But, I loathe - and I mean LOATHE - reality television. ALL of it.

But, I still luv ya! :)

Amy Ruttan said...

Hehehe, sorry for making you twitch. I had no idea there was a female version of American Pickers and it sounds ... yeah I don't know.

I have to say those Housewives make me twitch. :)

But I still love ya. LOL!