04 July 2007

Idependence Day, Let Freedom Blog


I'd wondered whether to blog about something paranormal or about the 4th of July, and then it hit me. If not for that shot heard round the world and those men who signed the Declaration of Indepedence, I may not have the freedom to write about werewolves, witches or wyverns, so there you go. Everybody wins! Well, okay, that's probably going to far, as British authors like Lynne et al do write paranormal, but sue me, it's the middle of the night. What am I gonna say? I'm gonna fight for my right to dump tea into the sea? That rhymes, as does Taxation without representation (sorta), but the last one is harder to spell.
War was fought over that tea (and liquor) tax, among other things. Wars have been fought over less and the less I say about that one, the better.
Thanks to Schoolhouse Rock, I can recite the preamble from memory, though, I do have to sing it aloud as I type, unfortunately for the cat's delicate sensibilities.
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic tranquility provide for the common defence promote the general welfare and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
That bit of recall got me an A+ in American History. You know, our forefathers were pretty cool to have thought up this wonderfully complex set of rules and regulations that in large part hold up to this day. They proved that they were idealistic and you have to admit, their hearts were truly in the right place. Though some say we've gone downhill , I personally don't think so, or else, why would everybody keep wanting to come here? It can't just be a visit to Disneyland.
So, tomorrow when you go to your backyard B-B-Q's just remember those that are fighting right now. This is from a sleepy American who is about to go to her warm bed knowing she's being protected by some very brave soldiers. Who're all really smart as they have to do it from thousands of miles away, across an ocean and everything. Hurry home, be safe and Happy Independence Day to you.

No comments: