14 July 2007

Seattle Underground

Hello, Veilers!

I'm back from vacation in Washington, where we spent time visiting Seattle, Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens, Columbia Gorge, Mt. Hood, and Olympic National Park/Olympic Peninsula.

I brought back about a gazillion pictures of my own, not counting the several digital cards of photos and video my husband took. I don't claim to be a great photographer; of the 500 or so snapshots I took, there are maybe a dozen I'd upload. LOL

But here's one I took on the Seattle Underground tour that I believe has a spirit orb in it. Modern Seattle is built on the bones of the Victorian-era city, which solved a rather serious sewage drainage problem. (More earth was moved to raise Seattle than was moved to build the Panama Canal.) Many of the old streets, sidewalks and storefronts still exist. The first floor of most downtown buildings are actually under the present sidewalk!

Needless to say walking around down there is more than a little creepy. In fact, the day we took the tour, the crew from the TV show "Ghosthunters" was scheduled to spend the night down there that very evening. So maybe the ghosts were resting up in anticipation of a night in front of the camera, because I caught only one photo with what looks like an orb:



Close-up:



So, what do you think? An orb, or wishful thinking? :)

Carolan
http://carolanivey.blogspot.com

Available now from SamhainPublishing.com: Abhainn's Kiss
Coming Soon: Wildish Things in the "Love and Lore" Celtic anthology
Release date TBA: Beaudry's Ghost

4 comments:

Jody W. and Meankitty said...

Cool, Carolan! I know what you mean about taking 500 photos to get 12 good ones, though :).

Jody W.

Carolan Ivey said...

When we were in Sedona a few years ago, we were on top of Airport Mesa watching the sunset, chatting with a professional photographer. He gave us some great advice. He told us he takes hundreds of photos to get that one perfect shot. "Never be afraid to shoot, shoot, shoot. Film is cheap - getting that one perfect shot is priceless."

That's true in photography, and in writing! It's okay to to experiment with stories that don't quite work out. The key is to keep writing, and eventually you'll figure out how to get that story in your head down on paper the way you want it. :)

Christine Norris said...

Ooo, did you see that big old house where they filmed the TV min-series "Rose Red"???

That was supposed to be in Seattle, but I don't know if the actual house is there. It's HUGE and very Victorian.

That Stephen King knows how to scare the pants off ya, don't he?

If that house is there, I bet Ghosthunters (love that show!) would enjoy a night there.

Margo Lukas said...

My hubby and I hope to visit Seattle someday--you know, after the kids are gone ;)

I had no idea there was an "underground" city. What a cool setting for a ghost romance. Hmm, the wheels start spinning...

Hey, thanks for adding Half Moon Rising to your sidebar. That was a nice surprise.