27 September 2007

House

Lately, I've been enjoying that new superhero show, House. Now it's taken me a while to realize he's a superhero. At first I thought he was just a doctor. But his incredible powers of observation and his amazing ability to put the pieces of a diagnostic puzzle together have convinced me otherwise.

Don't get me wrong. I love House. I love the show, I love the actor, Hugh Laurie (remember him in Stuart Little?), and I love the character, Gregory House.

But I've been watching the seasons on DVD. I actually didn't see so many episodes of season 1. But I'm glued to season 2 and looking forward to season 3. (Don't spoil me!)

Thing is, when you watch House solve four extremely difficult cases in one day, you begin to think it's not quite realistic. It's TV you think (or I think) and that's okay. But when my suspension of disbelief begins to disappear, I find it easier to decide this is a somewhat alternate reality with superheroes and then I can just sit back and enjoy again.

So who is your favorite of his students/acolytes: Cameron, Chase or Foreman? It may change from season to season, but at the moment mine is Chase. Now, maybe I'm shallow and it's just that he's the prettiest. But I think this season Foreman is too arrogant (I still like him, just not best), Cameron is, well, Cameron—she's okay, occasionally a little tiresome but I wouldn't want to do without her—and Chase isn't stabbing House in the back. Instead, he made a big mistake and he paid.

Oh, and talking about alternate reality. I am pretty sure that in Canada, doctors, even would-be fellows of genius doctors, do not go into patients' homes and search through their rooms. Yet it seems to happen every second episode! Maybe this is common in the states?! (I'm doubting it, but correct me if I'm wrong.)

So, anyone else a fan of House the superhero?

(And, no, I haven't yet see Heroes, but I will.)

6 comments:

Carolan Ivey said...

I also enjoy watching House, but since I don't catch it every week, nor have I watched back-to-back episodes on DVD, I haven't picked up on things that might annoy me about the series. :)

So okay, superhuman powers of observation aside (anyone else pick up on the play on Sherlock Holmes' name? Holmes? Homes? House?), I find Hugh Laurie mesmerizing as an actor, and the character of House someone I can identify with on some levels. He's flawed and complex to the nth degree. A dark hero.

I love that. :)

Anonymous said...

I didn't pick it up myself. But in the Gregory House wikipedia link above, they talk about just that. Holmes and Watson inspired House and Wilson, but then Watson's role was usurped by House's students.

Hugh Laurie is mesmerizing. I love watching him, and the more I see the show, the more interesting he becomes.

Carolan Ivey said...

It never ceases to surprise me when he appears outside the context of House and talks in his normal accent.

I'm always amazed by actors who can subvert their own native tongue so completely - it must take tremendous concentration. :)

Kathleen Scott/MK Mancos said...

If you've never caught Hugh Laurie as the wacky Prince Regent in the old BBC series Black Adder (starring Rowen Atkinson) you just can't appreciate his comic genius. I'm convinced the man could play a fence post and make it an outstanding performance. He's just that good!!!

-Kat

Lexxie Couper said...

Hugh Laurie's talent is incredible. Black Adder, A Bit of Fry and Laurie (check it out - it's a BBC skit show with Stephen Fry, recently seen in V for Vendetta), Maybe Baby, 101 Dalmations, a shocking role as an arrogant bastard in the remake of Flight of the Pheonix, Stuart Little... Hmmm, I seem to be a bit of a Hugh Laurie fan, don't I? *grin*

House is probably my all-time favourite show (it used to be M*A*S*H). I know it's formulaic at times but I can forgive that because the performances are all amazing. Love the Holmes/Watson - House/Wilson dynamic.

A brilliant show all round!

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see more of Hugh Laurie! I do think he manages to do a lot with this one role, well, it's a great role. But it'd be amazing to see him elsewhere.