09 September 2007

How Can You Read That Stuff?

Ghost lovers
Seductive Vampires
Lustful Daemons
Passion-ridden Shifters
Fiery-blooded Fey

The paranormal by its very nature seems to illicit the erotic in us. The idea of ghostly hands gliding over our bodies, or nocturnal lovers kissing along a vein, now induces shivers and longing, the way it once brought terror and recoil.

We once feared the monsters just as we once feared sex. Is it any coincidence that as we began to embrace our sexuality and sexual fantasies, so too did we embrace the legendary monsters?

As we began to accept our desires and the otherness represented within them, we also began to accept the archetypes that we once foisted those repressed feelings upon. Thus, in truth, when we opened the door to the Vampire, it was ourselves we were inviting into the light. It was our beasts we set free beneath the shifting moon and our own lust we raised in graven circles. It was the ghost of our desires denied that we summoned to us in the night, and with whom we danced on the solstice to pan pipes beneath darkened skies.

Our wants and impulses ceased to be monstrous and became the heroes of our stories. Often alone or misunderstood, they are just as often unashamed and unmoved by anything save love, and we refuse to let them go no matter how many variations we see. (Or how many times we see the same one).

I believe that the paranormal found its way into romance and then further into romantic erotica because we hungered and in turn we called to the creatures that had always hungered. We stripped from them the façade of evil and gave them hopes and dreams and fears, because as always, we needed them to carry what we could only partially claim. We own our sexuality, but we still falter at our taboos.

When we flay away the humanity of a hero, (male and female alike), we leave them bare to the things that rarely survive the crush of social conditioning in our mundane lives. We open them to everything we must turn from and protect against in order to be accepted by those around us. Whether submission or dominance, forbidden passion with one, or multi-partnered lovemaking for days, be it top, bottom, side or diagonal, we can have it all. We can have everything that even standard contemporary romance would pale to touch.

We embrace the paranormal because within us live desires and yearnings that are more than normal, that are beyond the normal of those who do not understand. We pair it with romance because as we love those characters, so too do we get to love the deepest parts of ourselves. We pull in the erotic because we wish that love freed to be explored in unapologetic bliss and unashamed splendor.

I ask you…What could be better?

So the next time someone judgmentally confronts you with, how can you read that stuff, smile sadly and shake your head in sympathy as you ask, How can you, not?.

I’m Xakara, it was a pleasure to meet you all for a short ramble through the gothic mansion of my mind.

Erotic Paranormal Romance Ramble Done

~X

10 comments:

Carolan Ivey said...

[[We pair it with romance because as we love those characters, so too do we get to love the deepest parts of ourselves.]]

That, my dear, hits the nail on the proverbial head.

Welcome to BTV! We're delighted to have you. :)

Anonymous said...

Well nice piece. Very thought provoking.

I've been a fan of paranormal for as long as I can remember and never have consider *why* before, not to mention had answers to that why.

Anonymous said...

Carolan: Thank you. I'm delighted to be here. I know it wasn't a traditional introduction, but I felt it let everyone get to know a bit about me just the same. :)

Melissa: There are always as many answers as there are readers. But there are also those universal things that bind us together as readers and I wanted to share the ones I saw. Glad they rang true for others too.

Thanks for coming by.

~X

Michele said...

Wonderful post!
I agree with the "why" of it, though never put it into words. You did so with eloquence!

I found you via Dracschick on LJ. Glad she gave us paranormal readers a heads up. This post was a delight!

Karen Duvall said...

Wow, that's an interesting take on it. I never in a million years would have made the connection. I don't read erotica, paranormal or otherwise, but I absolute LOVE paranormal stories. I will read romance, however, as long as it's not erotica.

Anonymous said...

Michele: Thank you for the compliment. Thanks too for letting me know how you found me so I can check her out.

Karen: although I spoke to paranormal romantica, I believe that it covers all of paranormal romance and urban fantasy where the "monstrous hero" is sexy and meant to be sympathized with.

Thank for the comments everyone. It's great to see what resonates with different people.

~X

Sophie Athens said...

What a lovely blog post! Thank you for sharing.

Jody W. and Meankitty said...

That's a really fascinating take on things! Like several people have said, that hadn't occurred to me, either, but the parallel is clear.

Jody W.

Anonymous said...

Sophie, Jody: Thank you guys for coming by and commenting.

It's great to know that it made others think.

(And nice to know I wasn't rambling to myself. lol) :)

~X

Sela Carsen said...

Xakara, what a wonderful blog! Thank you so much -- I love pieces that make me really consider what I do.