06 September 2007

Thirteen Things about JORRIE SPENCER









Thirteen Things about JORRIE SPENCER

1 - When did you decide you wanted to be a writer?

Well, when I was a small child, I wrote poems about butterflies and such. As I grew older, I wrote a short story or two, very much based on Margaret Atwood, who I devoured as a teen. But it wasn't really until near the end of university that I decided I wanted to write.

And I've been writing off and on since. The older I get, the more regularly I write. I'm addicted! (Ember – As addictions go, this is a pretty good one to have.)

2 - Do you write everyday? Any routines or rituals? Are you a plot or seat-of-your-pants writer?

I don't write every day, necessarily. I think what's important to me is that I write regularly, but that doesn't mean every day. I also write best when I am ALONE. So school days during the school year work really well. And, I'm a pantser.

3 - How would you describe the genre in which you do most of your writing?

Paranormal romance. At the moment you could even say werewolf romance! (Although I've got an idea for a cat shifter romance noodling about in the back of my head.) (Ember –Your head must be a very interesting place to be.)

4 - Star Wars or Star Trek?

Star Trek. Jean-Luc Picard completely and totally hooked me on the series. It was true love :) (Ember - He brought the sexy back to bald for me >G<.)

5 - Once the deadlines are all met and the manuscript is delivered, what do you do to relax and give yourself a break?

Read! I never seem to get enough time to read. Buying books is also a nice reward. And if I can find a movie I want to see (more and more difficult these days), watching a movie is a nice treat.

6 - What advice would you give to aspiring writers?

Don't compare yourself to others and, I know this is cliche, but just persevere. Also, write for the writing itself. That doesn't have to be the only reason you write, but if the writing isn't giving you joy, you need to step back and ask yourself why you're doing this.

7 - How much time do you devote to promoting your books?

Too much? Not enough? It _feels_ like too much but it probably is not enough. Though it's important to protect the writing, too, or soon you'll have nothing to promote. I actually enjoy the blogging side of promo, so that is a plus.

8 - What kinds of books do you like to read? Who is your favorite author?

Romance, particularly paranormal romance. I write what I read, I guess. I also love a good historical romance if it convinces me it is set in another time and place than the here and now. My favorite author may well be Laura Kinsale. I need to reread My Sweet Folly. That opening sequence is fantastic, and I loved the rest of the book, too. (Ember -Adding this to my TBR now.)

9 - What is your latest book about?

You mean my amnesiac werewolf story that just released September 4? :) _The Strength of the Wolf_ is a follow-up to _The Strength of the Pack_ but can stand on its own. It is Veronica's story and it starts off with her not knowing who she is or why she is the way she is. Slowly she is drawn back into the human world… (Ember -You can buy it here!)

10 - What will your next book be about?

Well, it's another werewolf romance, but this one, _Marked_, has two heroes. One of the heroes is a cousin of Veronica and Seth, respective stars of my Strength series. Then I want to write that cat shifter.

11 - What are the goals you are still working toward?

I'd like to write a longer, more plot-heavy story. The romance would still be its spine (yes, I have a specific book in mind), but I'd like to tell a very "plotty" story, with some twists and turns.

12 - It's a special night - cook in, or eat out?

Eat out! Indian or Italian food. With wine. (Ember -A woman who appreciates wine!)

13 - Now for the most important question - what do you believe makes a book sexy?

Real sexual chemistry. With no evidence of the author pulling the character's strings. I also like there to be something at stake. The world doesn't have to be at stake, a life doesn't have to be at stake, but the relationship has to count. (Not necessarily right at
the beginning, but certainly before the book ends!)

Visit Jorrie Spencer at her website - http://jorriespencer.wordpress.com/




Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)





Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



15 comments:

Christine Norris said...

http://christinenorris.livejournal.com

That's the Thursday Thirteen spot.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Ember! It was a fun interview :)

Carolan Ivey said...

Cat shifter, eh? Will this be a full-length or a novella? Or do you know yet? :)

Anonymous said...

This would be a full-length novel. In fact, I'd like to up the suspense/mystery if I can!

Thanks for asking, Carolan :)

Unknown said...

thanks for letting us get to know you

Margo Lukas said...

Great Interview, Jorrie and Ember! This is my favorite Thursday Thirteen.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reading, Amy, Margo and Paige! Ember asked some great questions.

MsSnarkyPants said...

Great interview! Awww Butterfly poems! hehe You've come a long way! My first written story was about a cat having kittens, but I had a story about a witch that I recorded on tape before I knew how to actually write. I really wish I still had that...

Anonymous said...

Lesley, I no longer have my poems. I think it's great you still have your first written story! And what are cuter than kittens?

Elle Fredrix said...

I like point number two. Having a routine doens't necessarily mean you need to write every day.

Unknown said...

Great interview! I'm glad I got to read this TT :)

Robin L. Rotham said...

Wonderful interview! Looks like I need to go check out a new author.

Anonymous said...

Elle-thanks. I believe "write every day" works very well for some people, but I need a bit more flexibility than that. Not that I sit around twiddling my thumbs waiting for inspiration to strike!

Thanks for reading, Jane and Robin!

Debbie Mumford said...

Nice interview!

http://debbie-mumford.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Great interview, ladies. :) And an excellent idea for a TT!